Monday, 30 July 2012

Paralympic Mascot 2012: Victorian Square

Having had my first design accepted - see above, Wenlock/Park Cycling - I was asked to produce another design for the Stroll: Discovery Trail. This time, it was to be the Paralympic mascot, Mandeville and with a 'Victorian Square' theme.

This was my approved design, pulling together my idea of Victorians at leisure, a sunday afternoon stroll complete with flying machines, an organ grinder with his monkey and the obligatory moustache.






































Below are progress images taken as I painted the mascot...

First stage of drawing my design onto the blank white mascot,
then painting on the background colour


























I used acrylic paint for both mascots, which looked pretty streaky to begin with - a good few coats were required!


Building up the design and adding in the characters one by one



























The black line of the Paralympic logo was applied as a transfer over the painted background colour and then I had to mask it to paint in the surrounding colour.

The Finished Mascot

The Stroll:Discovery Trail takes place around London July 27 - September 9, this mascot will be located in Regent's Park for that time.